Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Listen to your heart

Two years ago was rough.

I watched as my good friend's health deteriorated due to the stress of work.

I experienced a group of children that rivaled all groups I had experienced to date. And not in a good way.

I noted a total lack of support and compassion from someone who judges others on their ability to offer support and compassion.

Last year was worse.

I watched as things unraveled.

I experienced crushing negativity.

I noted the wrong way to build a team or handle staff.


This year approached at a slow march.

The position I'd been interested in and denied each of the last 5 years due to my lack of a teaching degree was once again posted.

I did not find out my schedule until the weekend before the first staff day.

I did not meet my intervention partner until the staff work day.

But.....

She turned out to be great.

And I love my schedule and the people I'm working with.

And the kids this year are the way I remember kids being... very unlike  the kids of the past 3 years.

And I will be doing intervention with K, 1, & 2 -- the groups I have finally finessed and gotten instruction to a point I think works and can be successful.

After 4 days I am actually happy. Actually each of the 4 days I have left work happy.

And then the monkey in the wrench...

The person who was going to do intervention got a teaching job and only worked the first day of school.

And I was offered the job. The one I had wanted. But it would require RTI and ESL and record keeping and the possibility of math and writing as well.

But it was THE job.

I said I wanted to think about it.

I talked to my two best friends. I talked to my husband.

And

I declined the offer.

Because our oldest leaves for college a week from Friday.
Because it would be more work for the same amount of pay.

Because I am happy.

And because sometimes your heart changes it's mind.

And sometimes you have to listen to your heart.

2 comments:

  1. Those types of decisions are tough; but it sounds like you made the right choice! Happiness is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those types of decisions are tough; but it sounds like you made the right choice! Happiness is so important.

    ReplyDelete