Friday, February 2, 2018

Summer Jobs

February theme is to alternate days. Gripes on odd days and grins on even days. Today is even, so today is positive.

Yesterday youngest had his first interview for a job. It was over the phone. He interviewed for the job of camp counselor at Camp.

He got it!

We kind of knew it would be a yes. It was a friendly environment, but what a wonderful way to enter the world of work.

My husband and I were counselors there in 1988 and 1989. The boys have been through the camper to CIT to Counselor track since 2009. Oldest will be working his third summer, and will likely be a Senior Counselor.

Working at Camp is seriously, literally, the best job on earth. You are outside in nature, away from electronics, and immersed in learning how to live with others.  As staff, you learn how to organize your time, deal with conflicts, and teach kids how to as well. You learn new skills and most importantly you learn what you are capable of.

Working at camp changed the directory of my life and that of my husbands. Our oldest has decided to pursue a different educational path because of camp. I have a feeling it will have the same effect of our youngest.

I am nervous, sad, and terrified of the fact that our last summer as a family is behind us. Both boys will be gone for 8 weeks this summer. I will have an empty house. I will be spending my time packing and cleaning, but it will be me, alone, all day. But you know what?

Our boys will be well on their way to amazing futures because of a Y camp in Michigan.

And I couldn't be happier or more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment