Thursday, November 3, 2016

Thankful day 3

I am not a sports fanatic. I am not athletically inclined. However, I grew up near Chicago. And if you grow up near Chicago you are a Chicago fan.

The 1985 Bears. Superbowl shuffle anyone?  Mike Ditka is Da Coach.

Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Jon Paxton and the Chicago Bulls of the late 80s and early 90s.

I've watched games on TV. I've been to a couple of Bears games and they were fun.

And  then there is baseball. Husband and his family are Cub fans so I am a Cub fan. I have been to a few games at Wrigley and that is by far the better way to watch baseball.

Because baseball is boring. There is a lot of standing around in baseball. The games last forever. It is boring. But I'm a Cub fan by default, so I root for the Cubs and say, "There is always next year." when the season once again ends early.

This year after 108 years our Cubbies made it to the World series.

They lost the first game and I thought well at least we made it here.

Then they won. You start to believe it's possible -- really possible. And they were coming home for 3 games. Maybe they could win it all at home.

Then they lost.
And lost again.

But game 5? the last of the Chicago games-- and they won!

Hope resurged.

Game six we killed it. The series was tied.

For someone who doesn't care about baseball or sports in general I was holding my breath along with every other Cub fan. I had only checked in on my phone and watched the little play by play guy that showed the pitches and a tiny diamond that lit up green if a runner was on periodically so there was no way I was going to jinx it by watching the game. I got updates from hubby. Finally at 10:30 I checked in and saw were up 6-4. Then Cleveland tied it up. You could feel the collective groan from Cubs fans everywhere. I waited til the bottom of the 8th and then told hubby I was going to bed because either they were going to lose or it would be extra innings and I could not afford to stay up that late.

Subconsciously, I must have heard the cheering, because I woke up at 1:30 and thought the game has to be over, I'll see if they won.

I find out there was a rain delay and an extra inning but in the end the Cubs were victorious.

2 teams that hadn't won in decades meet in the World Series.
They take it to game 7.
Game 7 goes to extra innings.
The extra inning is delayed by rain.
The game ends with a 1 run advantage.

Today I am thankful for Miracles and for all those who believed it was possible every year for 108 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment