Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Thankful on the 16th

Our school has one to one technology.

In the old days (two years ago) a cancellation would mean using a built in snow day.

In the old days a two hour delay for fog would have gone to a three hour before cancelling.

Times have changed.

The district has decided they can save money by going to a cancellation if the two hour delay isn't enough. If they cancel, assistants do not get paid. Only a few food service staff get paid and not for their full hours. Bus drivers get a lesser pay. No food is used. Utilities are much less. Therefore cancellation pays off for them.

I find it a slippery slope to on-line education, but that is a topic for another day.

I don't know if it's the full moon or the predicted snow this weekend but the kids have been bonkers -- a continuation of last weeks upended scheduling craziness. So when the call for a delay came around 5, I was happy. When the cancellation call came just before 8, I was ecstatic. Even though it means the loss of a day of pay that I won't ever get back, I am thankful........for fog.

And they are predicting more for tomorrow. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment