Thursday, October 20, 2022

Chomping at the bit

I got my name tag today. I guess they plan to keep me. 

It was another wasted day of Stephanie pretending she knows how the computers work and how the paperwork works, but fumbling and stumbling around. She tap, tap, taps, at the keyboard and then sighs loudly because it won't do what she thinks it needs to do. 

I had to walk away. 

A child was running away from the staff who was chasing him.

 I finally got him calmed down. Not the way the staff expected, and it took a while, but I got him calmed down. He had kicked another child because she told him to shut up. Where were the staff?

The staff have not been trained. They pick children up and allow them to sit on their laps. 
The kids go to the bathroom on their own when there is easy access to any number of people in the Y. 
The same activity is offered to all the kids who are expected to do the activity at the same time-- ages 4-12. 
Gym time is devoid of equipment, so it is a free for all covering the entire gym space. 

Currently this space is called the "Teen Room" and is where the 3rd through 6th graders hold their activities with one staff member. 



And this is where K to 2 have theirs. 


The walls have no color or decorations. The room is long and narrow, so it feels small. 

Broken, generic crayons and worn down colored pencils are available, as is paint and glitter. 
Supplies are those you'd get from oriental trading which I absolutely hate. 

The program currently is like the latest Teddy Bear "mint in box". I want to get it to the point where the Teddy Bear is more like the Velveteen Rabbit - worn and loved and real. 

I plan to order supplies, and paint, and put up bulletin boards, and change the "teen room" to the cafeteria, and change the younger kid room to crafts and play. Staff will be trained and will no longer treat kids like they are baby sitting. So much to do, and I want it all done now, but I have to wait. 

Stephanie is done next Friday. 

Then the work begins. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment