Monday, October 17, 2022

Day One

 It was my first day at the Grant County Y. 

The day started with a call to 911. Not at the Y but outside our door. I was backing out of the garage when I heard a noise like someone hit something on the road. I saw a piece of plastic fly up into the air. 

"Weird." I thought. I continued backing up and saw our neighbor running a split second before I saw he was running toward a van laying on it's side in the grass of the next neighbors yard. I ran toward it as well and called 911 as I was the only one with a phone. Calling 911 is more nerve wracking than I thought it would be. 

The driver turned out to be ok. His steering had locked up and he lost a wheel completely. Police arrived. He had taken out our mailbox in the process, so we now need to get a new one. 

I left to get to the clinic for my drug screen and TB test. 

It took for- ev- er. There is no hurry in those nurses. My appointment was at 8:30... I got in at 9:30. I had thought it would only take 15 minutes, so I was losing my mind waiting. 

I finally got to work, and Stephanie wanted to show me Daxko. I remembered more than I thought I would. 

The staff brought in a child who was having issues. He is autistic. But I think environment is half the battle. Stephanie had to leave at noon, so I spent the rest of the day observing and being with the kids and staff. I explored areas - opening closets and looking in cubbies. 

They have parts of things and pieces of parts. No order or direction. No protocols or procedures. Noise and chaos sending kids into chaos or withdrawal. 

I have thoughts on how to proceed, but need to let my brain spin it around some more. 

Tomorrow is day 2. I will only be working until 2 or so, because we are going to La Porte for Lori's viewing and funeral on Wednesday. 

More to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment