Thursday, April 5, 2018

Encyclopedia of Me Volume D

Based on Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krause Rosenthal. Her version is more creative and better.

Defining Moments: There are moments that help shape who you are. Moving to Alaska is one of mine. There is a line in Lord of the Rings where Sam says, "If I take one more step, I'll be the furthest from home, I've ever been." That's what crossing into Wisconsin was for me. Then there was Montana, North Dakota, and Canada. Mark and I only had each other. I learned how much I missed the Midwest. And after driving 10 days there and 12 days back together, I knew that Mark and I were in for the long haul.
     Delaware was another. After Alaska I applied to 50 different Y's. I got 2 phone interviews that turned into 2 "in person" interviews. That led to one job offer -- in Delaware. They had wanted to offer the job to someone who had been there for a while, but got pregnant and decided to be a stat-at-home mom. I was told this up front. I felt from the beginning the derision from my immediate supervisor. She had been close with the girl who left.
      I worked my butt off. I planned and orchestrated my program when Delaware declared a state of emergency and schools were closed for several days because of snow. I got a letter from my supervisor thanking me for how I handled things during that time as well as during Christmas break.
   Then, about 3 weeks after the state of emergency, I was called into my supervisors office where she and the Executive Director were waiting for me. They told me I lacked initiative and vision and had 30 days to improve. I then had to finish my program for the day and then be the director on duty until 10 with a smile on my face as my world was falling apart.
       I immediately reached out to my network back home and was back in the Midwest by June. I left that job and was replaced by the person they originally wanted to hire.
        I was hired by a Y in Illinois that wanted and supported me. I found my career and passion. And I found an inner fortitude I didn't know I had.

Directions: I am not good with directions. To put it simply... my hubby likes to say I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag with a flashlight and a map. The invention of GPS on my phone is a God-send.

Dragonfly: I started liking dragonflies when I got my new camera. I was actually able to capture them as they lit on flowers. I found a poem that says dragonflies live in joy and scatter brilliance. It became the go-to gift from my husband and I have earrings and necklaces and decorations that are dragonflies. I have read more on dragonflies and the spiritual significance they hold, and I would say the dragonfly could be my spirit animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment