Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Encyclopedia of Me: Volume G

Loosely based on Amy Krause Rosenthal's book, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. 

Encyclopedia of Me: Volume G

Games:  We have Family Game Night, but there is a list of approved games. I prefer games that don't lead to nasty competition. Games that are supposed to be more competitive, we turn into cooperative games. For example, in Sorry we used to say you could share spaces and we didn't use the Sorry cards (as they got older we did). There is a place for competition, but not involving me. Mark fills that role for the boys.       
        The boys have eliminated Bananagrams from the list because it "makes their brains hurt."
           We take turns, each Sunday, picking a game and a dessert.
            Games have changed and evolved. We no longer play Scrabble Jr. Disney edition. We haven't played their creation of Block Cone -- played with cardboard blocks and mini soccer crowns, and Transformers as tokens.
            We play games inherited from my husbands youth that don't exist any more.
            And we have added card games they can understand strategy for now, like Euchre.
            Some favorites are Ticket to Ride, 5 Crowns, and Yahtzee.
            We have every sheet from Yahtzee saved, from when we started playing. It's like a piece of our history, because we started writing down details-- like the time everyone got a Yahtzee or when Will got a Yahtzee on the first roll. We write the date and keep track. Yes this is competitive, but it doesn't involve someone sabotaging you, so it's OK competition.
             Starting this summer, both boys will be gone, and I will miss our game nights with every fiber of my being.

Genealogy: I started working on genealogy in 2002, when putting together a scrapbook for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I was doing a time line, and wanted to start with their parents. It led to wanting to go back further. Writing their story led me to want to know more of their story. I became addicted to finding out more, and how my family fit in this world.
        I continue to search. I have names and dates and locations. My search is for who they were.
       My mother-in-law says her grandmother had a journal that told stories of motherhood. My Mother- in- law would hear stories of what her dad was like as a child. The absolute tragedy of this, is that after mother-in-law died, her husband was so distraught, he got rid of those journals.
        Can you imagine?

Glasses: I had to get glasses when I was 14. I HATED them. I didn't wear them. I wanted contacts and couldn't have them, so I didn't wear the ugly glasses we could afford.
        Did you know if you don't wear something to correct your vision, your vision gets worse?
         When I was able to buy contacts for myself, I did just that. I loved contacts. I could see. They didn't fog up in the cold or get splattered by rain. I could wear sunglasses just like everyone else.
          Now I'm older and I can't wear contacts because my eyes get dried out. The eye doctor has even recommended...
           ...bifocals!!!!
          I tried them. I didn't like them. I wear glasses that I can just see out the bottom of and hold reading material closer.
           I used to think, "No way," when it came to Lasik.
          Now I think, "Maybe."





No comments:

Post a Comment