Monday, March 26, 2018

Who brings the pencils

Our trip to Indy today included a trip to one of the Half Price Books. As I perused the shelves, I found a book put out by the La Porte Historical Society. Because I'm working on my family history, and primarily the family that is from La Porte, I grabbed it.

As I looked at the pages, I found a description I found funny, as it is proof that things have really not changed much in 100 years of education.

Today teachers buy supplies for the students in their classrooms. Right?

The quote from the book:"A one- room school house is defined as a school with all grades one through eight, being taught by one teacher and a curriculum very different from today. The heating system in this school is a wood stove and the teacher was primarily responsible for supplying the wood. Some parents and students assisted, however."

So, I guess, teachers have always been counted on for taking care of their kids, with little to no support from the community. Huh.


No comments:

Post a Comment