Friday, March 30, 2018

Encyclopedia of Me: Volume B

Encyclopedia of Me Volume B

Bells: I have started collecting bells. We go to a place in Fort Wayne called The Wood Shack. It is an architectural salvage place. I love the old doors, and wooden chests, and old cabinets, but we don't have the room for any those things in our current house. Last year there was a beautiful cast iron bell, the kind that you would hang outside and ring to call the  kids in to dinner. That we had room for. Since then I have added 4 other bells. The latest is like the kind a teacher would ring at a one room school house. I don't think new bells would have the same allure and I don't know how long this phase will last. But for right now, Bells goes on my list for "B".

Books: Our family has an addiction. My husband and I have been the dealers for our kids. We started them as infants. We put board books in their cribs. I read to them every night until they were in 6th and 8th grade, when homework took over. Scholastic books, once they started school, furthered our dependence. When we go to Barnes and Noble and they ask if we have a members card, we laugh and hand them our member card and our Barnes and Noble credit card that gives us 1% cash back on every purchase. Our library has grown to over 4000 books combined between the 4 of us. We just can't get enough.

Boys: I am from a family of 6-- 5 of whom are girls. (see also brother) The neighborhood I grew up in was all girls. Even my cousins are mostly girls. So, when we found out we were pregnant, I was hoping for a girl. I knew how to do girls. But we had a boy. And I realized I loved having a boy. He was happy and curious and precious. When we got pregnant a  year later, I hoped it would be a boy, because now I knew how to do boys. And we were blessed once again with a boy. Now that they are 18 and 20, I don't know if I really know how to raise a boy, but I think we've done OK. And when I hear friends with girls talk, I know I wouldn't know how to raise a girl.

Brother:   I have one brother and he is 13 years older than I am. He left for college when I started Kindergarten. I don't know what it is like to have a brother, not really. I have snatches of memory.

My brother is 6'4. I am currently 5'3", but obviously when I was starting kindergarten, I was much smaller. I vividly remember walking with my brother, him on the sidewalk, me walking along the wall next to him.

 I remember him coming home and lifting me to the ceiling.

 I remember him informing us that "roof" had the "oo" sound like what an owl says, and that coupon did not start with the "q" sound. To this day it is a pet peeve when people say "roof" like a dog barking, or pronounce coupon with a "q" at the beginning.

 And I especially remember the time he came home from college... I was with my mom on the back porch where she was doing laundry. Ricky said something smart-alecy and my 5'4" stocky mother told him, "You're not so big, I can't take you over my knee and spank your butt!"  I decided then and there to be good. If she could take down my giant brother (theoretically) that I didn't stand a chance.

Rick and his wife took my husband and I to shows at Purdue -- where we attended and they were alumni.
 Rick paid for my drivers ed because my parents didn't have the money.

He is an engineer and the father of two beautiful daughters and 3 grandchildren. He's still more of and uncle because of the distance in age,  but he is my big brother and I love him.


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your slice. The format and idea is new to me and I would like to write one, with your permission. It is creative and original and really endless as it could also offer students choice to write using an alphabet they prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with the comment above! I like how you drew inspiration from a single letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an fun idea for your slice.!! I was curious why you chose B. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete